• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple

The New Normal

It’s perhaps a little amazing how quickly things can begin to seem normal. I find myself thinking less and less about the crazy traffic, the unusual sights and smells, even the poverty has begun to seem normal. I have to remind myself that I and my host are the only caucasians I’ve seen since I left the Delhi airport.

Much of that is due to the deeply gracious nature of the dear people I’m training this week. They have been a joy to work with. (They also order very good food for lunch!) So it has been easy to fall in as part of the family…well, at least until they start whispering to each other in Hindi!

I think it also has to do with the fact that I’m thrilled by their ability to absorb the training. Eight months ago, I taught them the basics of these same topics over Skype, and all parties involved found it frustrating to effectively communicate, the disconnect resulting from the culture, the distance, the language.

So – with the exception of distance – I anticipated encountering the same issues face-to-face. But today, they nearly ran circles around me. The technical lead asked questions I had planned to avoid for sake of simplicity. When we started trying out some website code, they were the ones finding my mistakes. Conversation has flowed comfortably and easily.

The realization here for yours truly – the sheltered American suburbanite – is the fact that it has been possible to forge real relationships despite a number of expected obstacles. The staff has been a true encouragement and a blessing, and I’m thrilled to count them not only as business acquaintances, but as friends.

On to the photos...

Vendor at the local street market.


School bus of business students. The business school is in the same building as our offices.


Breakfast!


Some night shots from the street.





The place we went for dinner...

...where they served Sanjeev, Kevin and I an enormous variety of BBQ items.




Shots out the car window on the way to work in the morning.







This is how many women ride on the back of scooters/motorcycles. Occasionally with a child squeezed in between her and the driver. Helmets are required by law...well, except for women and Sikkhs (turbans get in the way).






Not a great shot -- saw it too late -- but that's a barber shop set up under that tree.


















A school/day care.


A produce vendor right by our office.


A shot from the roof of our office building.


Lunch at the office!
Read More 1 Comment | Posted by Clay Anderson edit post

1 Comment

  1. AmandaO on April 2, 2009 at 9:20 PM

    So glad to hear the training is going well! That is exciting. Sounds like such a fun trip! Your blog is great too. And I'm glad to hear the relationships are working out well... that's so important. And the food. Good times.

     


Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Posts from Chandigarh

  • About
      I'm Clay. More than likely, you're here because you know me. I'm heading over to India for a week, and this is a simple blog of my thoughts and photos. Enjoy.
  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS

    © Copyright Posts from Chandigarh. All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top